St Peters Church
Who are we?
We’re a multi-cultural, cross-generational community church made up of young and not-so-young people from Edgware and beyond who feel called to be a light at the heart of our local community.
St Peter’s has been the local church for this area since the late 1950s. Even before our old church was built in 1962, local Christians had been meeting here – first in their homes, then in Edgware School and then in the old Community Centre building, so St Peter’s has been part of the fabric of this community for over half a century. You can find out more about our history here: http://stpetersstonegrove.weebly.com/history-page.html
What do we do?
We meet on Sundays and at other times during the week because our faith in Jesus energises us and helps us through both good and bad times.
Our principle service is on Sunday and our worship is family friendly, relaxed and informal – we don’t have a dress code, although the vicar sometimes wears robes on special occasions like Easter and Christmas.
Our services start at 10.30 am and finish around 12.00 and they help us connect with God through singing old and new songs, praying together, listening to readings from the Bible and exploring how this relates to our lives today through a sermon. The words for songs and prayers and often pictures for the sermon are projected on a screen. After the service most people stay on to talk and enjoy tea, or coffee and fellowship – sometimes with bring and share meals at special celebration services.
We value children and young people encourage them in their faith so we offer age-appropriate groups for children and young people during part of the services. All the members of our youth and children’s team have the appropriate DBS checks.
We have a quieter, more contemplative service on Thursday evenings called ‘Reflect and Refuel’ from 6.00pm to 6.30pm which focuses on prayer, sometimes including prayer for healing and wholeness.
We are in the London diocese of the Church of England as part of the Edgware Parish Team which includes St Margaret’s on Station Road and St Andrew’s on the Broadfields Estate. Our 3 churches meet in different buildings but we share the same roots in Jesus, the same commitment to growing closer to Him and each other through our worship and weekday activities and the same desire to engage with the needs of the local area and beyond. This means that we are open to everyone and we welcome all who come – whether from our local community or across the world, whether officially members of a church or not. You can find out more about Edgware Parish and St Peter’s here: http://www.edgwareparish.org.uk/welcome.htm
We’re delighted to partner with the Stonegrove Community Trust in OneStonegrove so that we can bless the local community together.
For us, church is more than just something we do for an hour on Sundays, so here are some of the things we’re involved in:
- ‘Messy Church’ events full of family fun take place on special Saturdays and our Wednesday Toddlers’, Parents’ and Carers’ group has been contributing to a sense of community here for decades.
- We encourage members to get involved with activities like our singing group, youth dance group, men’s group and Women’s Fellowship.
- We meet during the week in ‘LifeGroups’ where members join together in their homes to learn more about Jesus and to share and support each other.
- We also encourage our members to join with us in supporting the local community by volunteering for different organisations like the SCT, Stonegrove Estates’ Youth Project and the community group, etc.
Our new home in OneStonegrove will bring new opportunities:
- A new chapel – a spectacular spiritual space in our new home will allow us to develop our quieter, more reflective services at different times during the week.
- A baptismal pool under the main hall for special occasions – the youngest we’ve baptised was 5 years old and the oldest over 50! We’ll continue to offer more traditional baptisms, too!
How can I find out more?
If you’d like to find out more about us, you can contact our vicar at email@example.com or on 07969593230 – or just come along to one of our services!
We’re so excited about what’s happening and we’d love to share that excitement with you, too!
To keep up to date with all our activities, sign up for our e-newletter.
T: 020 8357 0923
A: 5 Hayling Way